Friday, January 25, 2019

Reese's Quilt ~~ finished

Reese is one of my seven sisters. She was a sewist and made many of her now-adult daughter's little-girl dresses. She hasn't sewn in years. Many years. 

A couple of weeks ago we went to her home for a baby shower. She had decided that some of the many items from her sewing room needed a new home. That meant, "Here, Mary, I don't want this clutter. Thank you."

As we were talking about the huge bag of sewing "stuff," she mentioned that she had made a quilt top years ago. It turns out that top was part of the reason the bag was so heavy.



So this week I loaded the top on the long-arm and quilted it up. I've since also bound it. Reese had lots of fabric scraps in the bag but a couple of pieces are big and one particular piece was just big enough to be used for backing. So that's what on the backside of this pretty, little 60" x 60" quilt.

I wanted to keep it simple, so I just stitched in the ditch around every piece. Know what I learned about my quilting? I'm not a stitch-in-the-ditch kind of quilter who can brag about her skills. 



Honestly, I thought I'd get better with practice, and this quilt provided lots of practice! I was wrong. No, really. Things got much worse. Thank goodness Reese will be okay with that. She had no intention of finishing the quilt. I'm rather excited about returning her now-complete quilt gift. 




Lots of Link Ups

1 comment:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is so cool to finish something like that - and wow! 7 Sisters!!

I am also not a fan of ditch quilting - I do it, but I might grumble a lot!