Friday, March 15, 2019

Pin It Weekly #272

The Bonnet Carre' Spillway (photo from the US Army Corps of Engineers New Orleans District)  https://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/Portals/56/docs/MRT/oppeffects.jpgI haven't mentioned the rising waters in the Mississippi River. Of course, it's been all over the news recently because the Corp of Engineers has opened the Bonne Carre Spillway. 

This is important for several reasons, one is that it's the first time in history that the spillway was opened two years in a row. 







World̢۪s Longest Bridge -Lake Pontchartrain Causeway in Southern Louisiana


All of this water is normally controlled to prevent the Mississippi River from spilling over its banks, flooding New Orleans and rerouting itself. Rain, floods, and melting snow many miles north of Louisiana tend to come pounding along in huge volumes. The river carries silt, debris, trees (and whatever else it can pick up along the way) then deposits them just about anywhere along the route. 


Mississippi River Bridge (I 10 bridge)

Photographic Print: Mississippi River Bridge in the Evening and City Beyond, New Orleans, Louisiana by Charles Bowman : 24x18in

The Corps of Engineers keeps the river on course and navigable, controls flooding, ecosystem stewardship, and keeps the Port of Orleans operating. It also protects the coastline and keeps millions of people safe during hurricanes and storm surges. 

Longest Bridge in United States | The Bonne Carre Spillway Bridge carries I-10 and U.S. 61.
 
Mississippi River Bridge. Baton Rouge, LA.Crossed this bridge many times.Then back across the river by ferry to Port Allen.

When we're in Baton Rouge, or parts south thereof, this green sign in the center of the picture is a welcome one. Veering to the left means we're getting out of the city and close to home. Always a happy feeling!

Huey Long Bridge.Jefferson Parish, Louisiana

Having a vested interest in everything Louisiana, I decided to research some of the issues and pinned several pictures to my "Louisiana, home" board. Do you have a Pinterest board specifically for the place you call home? If so, share the URL with us in the comments.

2 comments:

Kaja said...

I'd never thought of a home-based board, and where I live isn't home in the way that yours is, I think, but it's an interesting idea so maybe I'll play around...

Mary Marcotte said...

Kaja, I don't add to the board often, usually there's some news event to remind me, but once I start pinning it's difficult to stop. I really love Louisiana and think that we can all be good ambassadors of place and culture.
You could do two boards: "home right here" and "home where my heart is" and have twice the fun. Let me know if you do. I definitely want to follow. I know you're a great photographer and you get around. :)