Sunday, March 24, 2019

Sunday Quilt Inspiration: Herringbone



Herringbone Pattern Template via Grace + GumptionI've been pressure-washing around the house. Today the concrete between the back door and studio. Yesterday the patio bricks. It's amazing how much dirt and scum has built up since the last time I did this chore. Having a wet, muggy winter does it. We struggle with mold, mildew, and spores here. It's the downside to the green. So while we have azaleas, roses and other plants in bloom, we also have oak, pecan, and grass pollen. 

Image result for curado de pisos de ladrillo
Not my patio--it's too perfect!


Anyway, I've been cleaning. As I was washing each brick one at a time, I was thinking about how much I like our old brick patio. We laid it ourselves, after reclaiming the brick from an old, broken chimney. 

The house had been dismantled and the land owner was happy to have us haul off the bricks. There's no knowing how old the bricks are but suffice it to say at least 50 years--25 on our patio.

 I chose to seat them in a herringbone pattern for no particular reason, except that (according to Richard) it was the most difficult. 

At the time I was in love with old patterns, especially herringbone, paisley, houndstooth, glen plaids, and toile. It made sense to choose a pattern that I liked since I'd be looking at those bricks for a while. 


Guide To Suit & Shirt Patterns – Clothing Fabric Pattern Infographic #pattern #fabric

Branette Fabric


Taupe and Windsor Navy Herringbone fabric available by the yard from Carousel Designs.

So how about taking a look at some herringbone patterned quilts. You'll notice that they make for great scrap usage.

 Susi’s Boy – A Herringbone Quilt Pattern and Custom Quilt - Lindy J Quilts

Thankful Thursday: Butterfly Quilt – Quilted by Orchid Owl Quilts! | Camelot Fabrics. Freshly Made

 Herringbone QAYG in Folk Song | Melissa | Flickr

My Quilts : :

broken herringbone quilt - Google Search

The Broken Herringbone Quilt
A good place to see more herringbone quilt is on my "heart, quilts" board.

No comments: