Friday, March 22, 2019

A Touch of Teal ~~ Finished!

I've had this little pink top sitting in the quilt queue for a while now. It had everything needed for a finish: backing, batting, binding. 

"How easy and quick would this be?," I wondered. "Quite easy and especially quick," I answered. 

So I loaded it and thought about quilt motifs. I wanted, as Richard loves to say, "Quick, fast and in a hurry." 

While quilt my last quilt, I stumbled upon a motif I like that is fast and pretty. It has the look and feel of a pantograph, except that it changes at random rather than repeat in a set pattern. It's kind of the best of both worlds: I get to enjoy the randomness but also have a pattern so it doesn't take long to come up with ideas. I can play a little with the motifs as I go along, and the openness of the motif quilts quickly.


I picked out my favorite motifs from One Big Finish, enlarged them and stitched them in in my usual, graffiti manner. All of the motifs have curves and wiggles to contrast with the straight lines of the Chinese coins pattern.


The backing was just a little short but I really wanted to use it since it has a pink, girly look that goes well with the front. It also has these small little teal flowers mixed in with the large pink and peach ones. How perfect is that?

To make it long enough, I just added a strip of hot pink on the top and bottom. Of course, I didn't have the sense to center the quilt top on the bottom, so the strips are not balanced, but I still like the quilt and the back is pretty awesome anyway.






Quilt Stats

Name:
A Touch of Teal

Size:
35" X 46"

Fabrics:
scrap fabrics from stash

Backing:
scrap fabrics

Batting:
100% cotton

Pattern:
Chinese coins

Quilting:
graffiti quilting w/ variety of motifs


The entire quilt was made from scraps and yardage from the stash. I made it back when Kaja and Ann had their AHIQ Chinese coins challenge. I can't find the original link to the challenge, but go to this link and scroll down to the labels which you'll find interesting.

8 comments:

Robin said...

What a sweet and lovely quilt. The pink really speaks to me and I'm envious of all the granddaughters you mentioned in the Improv post. But, I am grateful for the 4 I do have (and 9 grandsons). The quilting on this is so fun and feminine. It turned out great!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

A sweet quilt! I love the 'pops' of teal. And I like how you have quilted it, the open sized motifs and randomness is so appealing, and a gentle contrast to the stripes!

Karen S said...

Well done getting it done quick and fast. Great result.

Preeti said...

It must be Spring. Obviously it spilled over into your studio too. Love the berry lovely finish. A touch of teal brings out the brightness.

Mary Marcotte said...

Yes, Preeti, it is spring and the weather has been beautiful!

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks Robin! You and have opposite grandchildren. I have 8 girls and two boys, with another coming Friday that could be either.
This quilting is perfect for practicing new motifs and it's a fast finish.

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks Linda, that's what I was shooting for!

Mary Marcotte said...

I've finally figured it out--not every quilt has to be quilted to death!