Monday, March 25, 2019

Indigo Dusk ~~ finished

Only a month ago I wrote about starting a new art piece in this post. Today the piece is complete! 


It uses some of the same blues as   "Big Sky,"   which I finished in the middle of January.    Both were inspired by sunsets in the Midwest while we were on vacation two summers ago. 

Richard and I love watching the sun rise and set. We just happen to catch more sunsets. My favorite part of the sunset is dusk, when the sun drops below the horizon but still emits light enough to see the colors in the sky and clouds. Even the thinnest, tiniest clouds catch the rays and reflect the rainbow, or in this case every hue of blue.


I used red thread in a couple of areas because Kaja and Ann have a challenge "Using red as a neutral" that I wanted to include. It turns out that the red contrast adds movement unlike the blue threads.



One of the things that I like is how the light reflects differently on the reds. I used a deep wine color on the bottom of the piece and a bright, true red in the other areas. 




Of course using red thread instead of blue doesn't count as it being a neutral. Red as a neutral is going to have to find its way into another quilt, if possible. But for now, red as movement works really well, don't you think?


I think this is the fourth one of these little art quilts. I'm enjoying them so much that I've started thinking of what may be the next one.

1 comment:

Karen S said...

You are really enjoying these! Lovely to see!