Saturday, January 11, 2020

Beta as far as the eyes can see

It's time to catch up. I've been away at Beta Convention. My last one, so it was a little bittersweet. I celebrated my 20th year on Friday morning at the sponsors' meeting. 

Maybe it was bittersweet, but there was definitely lots of frosting! Bunkie High (my old school) brought home all sorts of honors. Since I didn't get to Pin It Weekly, I thought I'd pull some BHS photos from Facebook (there are lots!) and show you how awesome this group is. There are, I believe, around 70 students from tenth through twelfth grades. 



They competed in academic, artistic, STEM, and just-for-fun competitions. These are the winners. All of them can now go on to Nationals in Fort Worth, Texas, in June to complete with students from other states. 


Grace won La. State Secretary

Mia placed third in
Special Talent for her song.

Isabelle placed
fifth in Jewelry Design
The school received an award for increasing membership by 10% or better. And finally, they placed first in Group Talent with their modern adaptation of 
The Wizard of Oz / The Wiz.
(This link will take you to the video on Facebook.) 

That, my friends, is pretty awesome! Imagine the preparation it takes to build backdrops (yes, plural), props, record lines and music, and costumes. (Remember the monkey costumes?) Add about 70 teenagers to the mix, teach them your vision of the adaptation, teach them to dance--together and in sync--with the mix recording that, yes! they put together. 



I'm proud of Bunkie High, not because I played my part (however small) but because it will always be in my heart. I have strong ties to BHS and will always love the school, the people, the students and wish them well.

2 comments:

Kaja said...

What a talented group of young people. I'm not surprised you felt proud.

Karen S said...

A very interesting time. Glad you enjoyed it.