Saturday, January 4, 2020

Looking back, preparing to look forward

To See Such Fun

We're in a new year it seems, so it's time to look back. I'll look forward in a day or so, but I need time to process last year. So much has happened, two new babies in the family, the loss of Richard's dad, my hospital stay and surgery. 


Another Red Feather from Red Is a Neutral challenge

Still, as it turns out, I've been quite busy in my little world. 


Dora and Diego 

Busy with what, you might be asking yourself (because I did set myself up for that question). My sassy answer is finish reading the post. But I'm not particularly sassy. 


Mr. Stripey made by Marley

I made or finished several quilts, taught a grandie to sew as she made her own quilt. All of these are quite small--lap or baby quilts, and a few are some tops that I simply quilted. That basket of tops waiting to be quilted is just a little lighter.


Pink Pieces
A Touch of Teal

We finally finished our bedroom and bathroom remodel, which ended the procrastinating to make (or buy?) a cover for the bed.


The Biggest Finish

The Biggest Finish required a great deal of time and effort to complete because, well, it's the biggest finish. It's bigger than a normal king so that it has a nice, long drape to hide that huge mattress. I don't remember the crazy measurements, but it may be the reason I'm going to therapy for this shoulder.


Dresden Teaching Quilt
So those are the quilts I made: from cutting to binding, even if they've been languishing for a year or four. 

Apparently I did some things that are not on my normal Things To Do list.
A quick rundown:

  • made monkey costumes for Beta 
  • learned to use the Silhouette machine and completed several projects
  • chaired the silent auction (and donated items) for the annual church fair
  • turned Daddy's old wooden ladder into two quilt ladders (thanks to Richard)
  • and I organized this thread cabinet he made for me (It's crazy how much time that took.)

I also ended my presidency for the Cotton Quilters' Guild, managed the CQG quilt show and managed a (first time) CQG sewing room tour, including my room.

Finally, I tackled Doctor Zhivago Yes, reading is generally on my list, but this book!

Retirement is paying off, and I started some new things that I'd like to pursue, such as
  1. GSQA meeting (circuit teacher)
  2. GSQA Pursuit of Excellence class
  3. BRMQG retreat (three finished tops)
  4. CFAL show (Baton Rouge)
  5. Quilters' Guild Acadienne show (Lafayette)
  6. Houston 2019

Reese's Quilt

And then there were a couple of customer quilts. This first one is for my sister, so it didn't pay much. :) But the ones below did and 
have a special meaning for me, as well. There's a fourth that I didn't get a picture of.







If you know anything about my world, you know there is always an art project going,either sitting near my chair, ready to put needle and thread to, or on the studio worktable. I'm still into art quilts. 


Bayou Des Glaises at Bordino Crossing
Cotton on Green 2

Cotton on Green 1

We have our aches and pains. Richard has some health issues, pain in his neck and back, plantar fasciitis, and an annoying frozen elbow. I fall apart, temporarily, then pull it together again--thank you, Bipolar Disorder. 


Cave in Yellowstone

But all of those are simply the result of living a longer life and we are grateful that it's not worse--there are, after all, so many, many illnesses and horrors in the world. 


Indigo Dusk

We feel blessed to be turning 60 (soon). To know that we are loved by God. To have healthy children, grand children, and great-grandchildren. To be able to help others. To be able to live the life we love.


Big Sky in Montana

Happy New Year! 

No comments: