Saturday, January 18, 2020

Ruby Snippets ~~ first finish of 2020

Yay! A finish and we're still in January! Of course, this is a top that I made last year, though I don't remember when, exactly. Anyway, I loaded it on the long-arm and away we went, despite the shoulder injury. 

We are getting the dreariest of weather this week, so going outside to take photos is not happening. That requires trekking through a mini-marsh of soggy grass and mud. These photos were taken inside on the living room floor while I stood on the coffee table, trying to avoid the ceiling fan. 


Ruby Snippets is made from scraps and large pieces of fabric. At some point I realized that there was a diagonal / angular thing going on. So I ended up cutting most of the already nicely stitched rectangles into whatever those long triangles are called. Maybe right triangles? 


Anyway, I paired those angles with neutral pieces and scrappy neutrals and filled in the holes with more neutrals. Some of the reds are intermixed with yet more neutrals and create a fractured, broken glass appearance. 



To make the reds more definitely angular, I quilted uneven straight lines at about 60 degrees, which follows the shape of the red. The neutrals I quilted in rounded or circular motifs to soften the hard edges. 

 I backed it with some of the linen that I've been using. This is a pale apricot color. At 60" wide, it was just a little too narrow, so I added this off-white flower linen that had been left from a previous project. I think there was an 8" square left after I pieced it in. Close, right? 

The solid color of the back shows the different quilting motifs much better than the busy front. Still, I like playing with different motifs and quilting improvisationally, so even if it doesn't show, I play.


In my mind this is the correct orientation for the quilt, but honestly because it's mostly square, it could be placed however one would want. 



Quilt Stats


Name:
Ruby Snippets


Size:
62" X 65"


Fabrics:
various neutral and red fabrics from stash


Pattern:
my design


Backing:
reclaimed linen from stash


Batting:
100% Cotton


Binding:
neutral fabric from stash 


Quilting:
Long-arm--round motifs and straight lines


Completed:
January 2020


AFU: 
7½ to 8 yards from stash



1 comment:

Karen S said...

Well done getting a finish. That is another one off the list! Great feeling.