Wednesday, July 22, 2020

A new bad start

That worrisome thing on the design wall just doesn't appeal to me right now. It's been three weeks since I last looked at it. I'm suffering with a touch of CoVid19. It's not bad, considering people are dying. Nonetheless, I do feel yucky. I've managed to get out of bed. Some days barely. 


Today I'm trying to convince myself that I can do more, so I've dressed, sat outside to breathe in fresh air, and took a look at what was happening in the studio before this wretched virus turned me into a mopey, limp noodle with occasional severe headaches. 


Before all the CoVid nonsense, I started a new project. You know how you come back from retreat ready to take on the stash? Well, I felt just like that. So much so that I challenged myself to choose one of the old granny-looking rose prints from when I first started quilting. Back then everything roses was my game. I bought yards and yards. And coordinating solids and coordinating prints. My sister even sent me a complete kit. 



The problem with loving a fabric motif--and buying yards and yards--is that there's the very real possibility that you'll fall out of love with it. In my case, I still love the fabric. It just doesn't work with my modern aesthetic. Ahh! No mam! It's challenge. Work with it.


After much debating with myself over color combos. After trying to pull in something modern. After looking through patterns, I decided on a pattern I liked and four coordinating fabrics and began cutting. 


First small squares. Then more small squares. Those became HSTs. Lots of HSTs.




I made a block. Which I promptly disliked. So I made another in different colors.


But I pushed forward. Four blocks. Two in each color pair. Note to self, the arrangement does make a difference. I want white and yellow touching. And I want to use all of the focus fabric, so the backing may be ready to go.


Do you know what happens when Mary decides she's had enough? Well, when I get better, these four blocks will become a baby quilt. This business cannot continue. I thought I'd do 16 patches. Then decided nine would be more than enough. That became six, which became four. Four are complete, so I'm pretty sure this is it.

Traditional blocks. What was I thinking? Why? 


No comments: