Tuesday, July 14, 2020

July Cotton Quilters' Meeting


By the time you read this it will have been a week since the Cotton Quilters met in Mrs. Priscilla's home. The rain was pouring out of buckets, so we were forced inside. That was wonderful, because Mrs. Priscilla has a beautiful sewing room and lots of chairs. She's sort of obsessed with making pillows and recovering chairs. So we easily got comfortable.

The meeting went quickly; then Pam gave a quick presentation on the next BOM block. This picture shows two versions of her block. There are many more. Not that I'm keeping up with the BOM. Apparently I can't handle two at a time and Sugaridoo is well underway. 


I gave a demo on thread painting. That didn't go very well. Everyone listened while I showed a few quilts and talked about my process but, when I sat down to demonstrate, they sort of did their own thing. Oh, a few people watched and even asked a question or two. But honestly, I was just a little disappointed. Except that I had decided to work on a postcard to send to my sister, Laura. It's a little thing, but even little things can raise spirits. 


These pictures are from our show and share, which took place over a sofa, so my usually bad pictures are even worse. Sorry about that. Try standing on your toes, reaching over a shoulder, and snapping a picture. Oh, let's not forget that everyone holding the quilt is moving in a different direction. It's insane but fun and funny and I wouldn't miss it! Don't you love show and share at your guild meetings? 


Mrs. Mary Coco's two happy snowman quilts. Each showman/woman has the tools and dress of his/her trade. 



The front (above) and back (below) of Mrs. Priscilla's latest quilt.  She used left over blocks and pieces of the border to create what could be a reversible quilt.

 
And finally Ingrid is working on this pretty pink and brown project. She pieces and quilts everything by hand. You should see the tiny stitches!



2 comments:

Karen S said...

It looks like a lovely group get together and with plenty to see. Shame about your demo - sometime people don't think about the time and effort you put into preparation. You never know what you may learn by watching.

Mary Marcotte said...

Karen, I think it was the rudeness but I'm over it. It's not a process they would want to try, even though I demonstrated a quick project. They love seeing my work but prefer their traditional quilting. I'm just trying to keep things real, as kids say. No every presentation goes as planned. Thanks for visiting!