Monday, March 2, 2015

Modern Monday--X Quilt

So another modern quilt involving a bee begins.  I asked that my hive create X blocks of low volume neutrals and bright/bold X pieces.  


I have no idea why I wanted these blocks.  I think I started out considering a cross block.  Where the cross became an X, I have no clue, but it's all good.  Especially since I had the month of February, and several blocks are already in my possession.

We start with a nine patch and chop into two pieces, add one strip of the X, cut in half in the opposite direction, and add the second strip of the X.  



The block is really quite easy, but the maker has to step out of her comfort zone for this one, so I'm really happy I've chosen it.  I have no problem at all cutting into a block, but that is not the case for everyone.  In the end it's been a fun experience and several of the others have thanked me for pushing them out of their comfort zones.  

"Why, you're welcome."

Right now I have nine: I made four and five have come in, but we have a FB page and there are a couple more completed blocks that are on their way.  In fact one arrived today!  

How these will turn out will be interesting, don't you think?  Since they are all different sizes, I have something of a plan to make them fit together.  Of course, my plan may not work!  So I'm open for suggestions.  What do you think will work?  

2 comments:

Kaja said...

If you have a plan go with it, and then tweak if/where you don't think it works. They are great blocks, should be a great quilt.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I love these blocks! Pity they are not all the same size, but I'm sure you will find a way to get them together! Linda