Friday, May 6, 2011

Quilt Campus


Several months ago I inquired about becoming a teacher for Quilt Campus an online school for quilters.  According to their website, QC is "an online campus where you can take a variety of classes from quilt teachers, meet quilt students, share experiences, ask questions, and share photos of class projects - all from the comfort of home. Our teachers and students come from all over the world. Taking classes online is easy and fun and one of the bonuses is the people you will meet."   


They invited me to submit a project and some information about it, which I gladly did, and after discussing some of their needs and my interests, we decided that I would teach a class on stained glass quilts.  I created a simple wall hanging and began working on an idea that I hoped would simplify the process so that the end result would look better and the work be less frustrating for the quilter.  


Well, hallelujah!  My idea works!  I'm so pleased!  Of course writing the lessons for a process that I came up with has been a little difficult. I've had to find ways to explain the new process to new quilters who are learning both quilting and my process.  To do that, I've spent hours and hours drawing, drafting, writing and rewriting, and taking photos and more photos. 


 I've completed two small quilts thus far and plan to complete another when the class begins.  I want to read and follow the directions as my students do so that I'll be able to experience the process with them.  The photos on this page are of the two wall-hangings.  


I'm hoping that several students will take the class with me, and I look forward to the summer weeks when we'll share our works in progress and our thoughts on the class.


I hope some of you will join me.  If you're considering taking the class, you might want to go to the Quilt Campus website and check out their policies, teachers, and classes.  You can see photos from other classes in the gallery.  They also have a live chat and blog, and a forum on which students can post questions for the instructor and other students.  


If you have taken online classes in the past and want to share your experience with the rest of us, please do so.  I am anxious to get some feedback from those who really know what online courses are like from the student's point of view.  I hope to use your comments to improve my class and to support my students as they work on their projects.

1 comment:

*MeandMineinaSmallTown said...

My husband takes online classes for college (not quilting)He does very well actually and he rather do it online than in person. I would love quilting if I knew how to! Thank you for your comment on my blog. I do have a sewing machine but do not know how to sew:(