Monday, May 2, 2011

YEAH! Retreat!


One of the two-bedroom vacation cabins
I am so excited about the possibility of our guild having a retreat in July.  I decided that my experience as the La. State Beta Sponsor would be enough to plan a three day retreat.  I figure that putting on a convention for 5,000 teenagers should enable me to plan a retreat for 10-15 quilters!


I spoke to Cotton Quilters' Guild president, Donna Mayeux, last week through email and we settled on a date--July 27-29, 2011 at the Palmetto Island State Park just outside of Abbeville, La. 


After our guild meeting, I called the park service and booked one cabin and the meeting room.  We'll have time on the way Wednesday for some shopping at Borne Quilter and some lunch.  We should arrive at the park around 2 or 3 and take some time to unpack and take a walk.  Thursday will our day of sewing.....I expect that we'll fill the meeting room with lots of fun and laughter and quilting.  


Friday we'll head home with a stop along the way at Ginger's and perhaps another LQS if we're able to find one.


I suggested that we bring WIP's and UFO's to work on while there are others to give advice and suggestions.  I also hope to have a new table runner designed so that each person can complete a small project to take home.  
Fish in one of the park's lagoons, from this pavilion










If you have suggestions or ideas for fun games, please share them.  I'm open to all suggestions since this is my first quilting retreat.  Please leave a comment or email me at mary.marcotte@gmail.com. 


The park photos on this page come from 
the La. State Park website at http://www.crt.state.la.us/parks/ipalmetto.ASPX

Palmetto plants, for which the site is named




No comments: