Of course, I needed to choose fabrics, so began by pulling some pretty solids and placed them on the gray background fabric. Although I auditioned more than these and needed only six colors, I decided to work with these eight and eliminate two as I progressed. In the end the pink and dark green did not make the cut as one is too light and the other too dark.
I decided to use my Accuquilt Studio to cut the 3 1/2 inch squares for the stars. I cut four of each color setting one aside for the center. Of the other three, I cut two in half (four each of 3 1/2 x 1 3/4) and one into four (four each of 1 3/4 x 1 3/4). The small squares were easy to work with--I simply drew a diagonal lines and then stitched following that line. I drew a diagonal line on the rectangles also, but note that it has to be placed in a wonky way to sew. The best I can say is that I used the starting corner and the center of the gray square to eye the placement of the rectangle.
I made four identical squares for each star.
The next step is to trim the corners and press.
Once all the pieces for one star are stitched, it's just a matter of arranging the nine patch. The top row is stitched, then the second and finally the third. (Don't look at how kooky the pieces are. I ended up cutting and sewing a whole new yellow star because I cut something wrong and the trimmed pieces are too small to rip out.)
Then stitch the three rows together. Easy.
Really! It's so easy that I began after lunch and had the little piece loaded on the long-arm before coming in from the studio.
Come back tomorrow for part two of this project post. I'll show the quilting that I did on Sunday afternoon. See you then!