Thursday, May 4, 2017

Another Day with Leah ~~ a finish!

How's that for a play on words? Ha. Leah may not appreciate it, but it's not likely that she's sitting around eating bonbons and reading my blog like you are.

Nope, Leah Day is a workaholic. How do I know? Well, I know Leah. I've followed her, liked her, read her work, and saw her (once) in person in Houston, maybe? I'm not sure where, but I am sure that she is cute and sweet and smiles. Even more than I do. Yes, I smile. Lots! Especially when I'm at a big quilt show.  



But wait, this post is about two Sundays ago, when I worked on this quilt and quilted it to completion in one day! Yes! Loaded it on the longarm, quilted it, pulled it off the machine ... all in one Sunday afternoon. 

Want to know my secret? It's big. No, not the quilt. It's the secret that's big. Rather the secret is big motifs. Check it out. A different motif for each square, every one about three times its normal size. 






I wanted a soft hand because this is a baby quilt that will probably get used more than most. I don't know why I think so, I just know boys. This baby boy is going to a house of three big sisters and a big brother. I figure he will get lots of playtime and naptime and lovey time. Those all need quilts, right? There you go. 


I just hope his mom (my coworker) enjoys the quilt as much as I enjoyed making it for little Blaise. I've even added the label since these pictures and wrapped it up in a pretty bag. 



Since I mentioned using Leah Day's motifs earlier, I thought I'd show you a couple of photos of the back so you can see them. (The photo above is really two, despite that they look like one.)

Please don't look at the "eyelashes" in the quilting. I would love to figure out how to fix this problem myself. It's a common issue with my quilting, so apparently tension is not my forte. Oh but I love my little bitty circles and zigzags and swirls. However these eyelashes seem to be my biggest problem. Do you have this problem, and if so, how do you fix it?

9 comments:

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Nice quilt, practical colours for a boy with lovely flashes of colour and I like what you did with the back. I'm sure it will be well loved, and you're right, well washed, hehe!

Preeti said...

Mary, I love your quilt - the colors and the pattern just pop. And your secret is safe with me. Someday I will see your smiles in person :-) That "Smiles from Kate" has left a comment on this post makes me SMILE too. Want to know my secret? It is my fear of FMQ in general and eyelashes in particular. Now you know.

Karen S said...

Well done finishing the quilt. Love the fun you have had with all the different quilting. What lovely gift.

Kaja said...

Lovely, Mary. :-) I think you are right about boy quilts getting a lot of wear and tear too. No idea about eyelashes!

Mary Marcotte said...

I hope he loves to pieces! :)

Mary Marcotte said...

I say let's tackle those eyelashes together. As we try to find a solution we share/compare results. We can hopefully cut our repair time in half.
Kate got a happy smile out me, too.

Mary Marcotte said...

Karen, I thought I'd found my happy place already then I started playing with practiceing more quilting and discovered a happier place!

Mary Marcotte said...

That might be because you hand quilt, which tells me that it's the machine's fault not the operator. lol It's not a problem when I operate a needle either.

Annette Mandel said...

I don't have bonbons. Is everyone else eating bonbons? Lol