Saturday, May 18, 2019

Of Theories and Friday Finishes

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to see a finish. Something. Anything. Since sitting is a bit of a problem still, I decided to finish something at the long arm. Hey, if you can't sit, stand.

So I dug around in the bin of "ready to quilt" tops (RTQ--they aren't UFOs if I intend to finish them) and found the easiest, smallest little pink quilt in the pile. I didn't count how many are in there, because some things are best left alone. As you can see, the bin is full. 


Now, don't think I'm just about getting the quilting done. I'm not. I enjoy a bit of slow stitching. Nevertheless, there are times when I want to finish without much hoopla and times when I need to practice. I want to be able to accomplish the practicing AND not take forever on a particular quilt. You know those quilts: donation quilts, easy quilts, fast-finish quilts, and those you just get sick of--that generally end up in the UFO-forever pile. Those need to be quilted. One way to get them quilted is to find a fast, easy, not-so-boring way to get them finished. I have the solution!


My Theory:
It's possible to accomplish a quick finish using graffiti quilting. 
The trick, I thought, is to quilt using only one or two large motifs. But you know that gets boring. Quick. The point of graffiti quilting is that the quilter can change motifs often to avoid boredom. 


My Solution:
I'd use the same basic motif and make little changes with each one. For this quilt I chose large basic flowers changing the centers of each one so I wouldn't get bored right away. 


My Conclusion
I am happy with the outcome. It was fast work since I was sticking to one motif. Thinking of ways to fill in the centers and the outlying edges was quick because I wasn't trying to come up with many different changes.  




Quilt Stats

Name:
Pink Pieces

Size:
35" X 41" baby / throw

Fabrics:
Scrap fabrics from stash

Backing:
Pink camo from stash

Binding:
Scrap fabrics from stash

Pattern:
String pieced squares

Quilting:
Free motion in large flower motifs

I thought this might be one of my (possibly)
hair-brained ideas, that only occasionally turns out to be useful. But no matter, I have to figure it out or admit defeat. Yay! This one's a win! Do you ever get some idea that you just have to work out? 

No comments: