Monday, September 14, 2020

Griffins Antiques and Main Street Market

I may have mentioned that I've decided to join lots of friends in a new adventure. There's an old antique store in Bunkie and a young family has purchased the building to turn into an artists/crafts market. I bought the smallest size available and will attempt to sell some of my work. I'm committed to four months of rent, so that means through Christmas. Hopefully, sales will pay the rent. 


So what will I be selling? Well, I've decided to put out the cotton and magnolia paintings, perhaps a few of the stitched art pieces and some scriptural quotes. The newest pieces are the quotes. (I've been calling them simply "the quotes.") They started out as a fun, fast way to get some painting in. Quite by accident, actually. I went out to meet Rich in the shed, saw some scrap pieces of wood and picked them out. 

A little sanding and a good cleaning, and they made for fast canvas. At the time I had no idea what to do with them, but hey, that's how I roll. After painting sunsets/sunrises on them, I decided to add quotes. (Thus far no costs since everything was left over from other projects. Huge selling point, BTW.) When I ran out of pieces of scrap, I mentioned it and ask my guy to put some pieces aside as they  arrived. I meant arrived naturally, as discards from his projects.

He bought me a sheet of plywood. The good plywood (as opposed to MDF or cheap plywood.) Hmm, that's eating into my no cost budget!

So for a while now, I've been having great fun painting, searching for quotes, and relearning the Silhouette machine. Those are the quote pieces that I mentioned. I'll take pictures of the booth when it's all set up. I probably have about ten quotes and a couple of door hangers/welcome signs. I've also picked out about 10 or so lap/baby quilts that I will drape over a quilt rack. I really hope those sell, but who knows what people are looking for? Wish me luck!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Best of luck in your new endeavor! It's good that you're doing this with friends, so everyone supports each other.

Karen S said...

I do wish you luck. It is a great idea. You will never know until you try!