Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Improv on Point ~~ finished!


This quilt is already one of my favorites. It was a struggle for a while, but once it started coming together, I fell in love. 


Turns out, all it wanted was to be turned on-point, which made it a little more difficult to piece together. 


I made large chunks of red pieces and larger chunks of neutral/brown/gold with a little red mixed in and built most of the chunks using a modified log cabin technique.


Since the front is all improv, the back should be. Right? So it is. I used more of the linen, but didn't have enough for this 71" square quilt, which means I was forced to add other fabrics. Those cute cherries and a burgundy paisley were just the fit. 




I had such fun quilting small improv motifs across the quilt. No rules, all improv! And then I bound it all up with a burgundy solid that I've had for a long time. That means I made "Improv on Point" entirely from scraps and stash!




Quilt Stats


Name:

Improv on Point


Size:

71" X 71"


Fabrics:

scraps from stash


Pattern:

my design


Backing:

cotton and linen from stash


Batting:

100% Cotton


Binding:

burgundy fabric from stash


Quilting:

improv with various motifs


Completed:

2020




1 comment:

Karen S said...

This has turned out so well. Love the colour and fabric combinations. And the idea of turning it to create a different point of view is a great idea.
Lovely finish.