Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Happenings and door hangers

Last week Richard's aunt passed away. She and his mom were quite close, so we offered to take her to the services in Ville Platte, about 45 minutes' drive. The burial was in Prairie Rhonde, a place rather than a town, per se. I sat in the back seat, taking pictures because it's almost impossible to hear a conversation happening in the front seat. (That's a big-truck problem.) Anyway, I discovered both a grain mill and a wonderful old red barn. 

The grain mill is in town, but this barn is in the middle of nothingness. Well, rice field and pasture land. Prairie Rhonde is French for round prairie. Generally when we think of South Louisiana, we think of swamps and cypress trees and low-lying areas. But there was once a huge swath of prairie land that separated the coast from the pine forests of North Louisiana. 
Today there are very few acres of prairie left because so much of the land is currently used for agricultural purposes, especially rice. However, the Cajun Prairie Habitat Preservation Society is a non-profit with the goal of restoring small plots of land to the prairie habitat. 
 In other news, I have managed to wrangle a few more wooden pieces from my husband. He told me to get off of Pinterest. Hahaha! That's happening, right? Here are a few door hangers that I made for my craft booth. 


And just like that, the week was over!

2 comments:

Karen S said...

I always find these little back road towns to be fascinating.
Lovely to see your photos.
And you seem to be setting up quite a selection in your shop. Lovely!

Mary Marcotte said...

I can't seem to do just one thing for very long, so I decided to offer lots of different items and keep changing it up.
Yes, we love back roads. We've found some of the most interesting towns and places. It rarely matters how long we take to get where we're going. The phrase, "We're in it for the ride" surely applies to us.