A few weeks ago I had the honor of meeting Dana through the Etsy Blog Team. She's a designer from Atlanta, Georgia, who creates delectable ribbonwork by first hand dying silk ribbon and then shaping them into flowers, leaves, and bud to make cuffs, chokers, and embellishments for a variety of uses. After spending a little time in her Etsy shop, I just had to interview her for a feature.
My plan was to have her feature up last Friday, but well, things happen....sisters come for a visit, surgeries are scheduled, and life moves at impossible speeds. So, here we are, finally, with a wonderful interview in which Dana tells us a little about herself. I'm sure you'll come away wanting to know more about her, but then you'll have to venture those questions yourself. You can do that by visiting her Etsy shop here.
1. Where/when did you learn to make such beautiful lace flowers? My mother and I owned an antiques store. Antique ribbonwork is hard to find, expensive and often too damaged to use. I really just taught myself to do it out of frustration in not finding enough antique flowers.
|My favorite....check out those strawberries!|
2. What are some of your favorite flowers to make? My favorite flowers are roses. I love all shades of pink. I also love purple violets.
3. How would you describe your creative process? My creative process? Well,... a mess.Ribbons, needles, pins everywhere. I blame this on my mother.What kind of mother lets a child have an indoor sandbox? LOL!
4. What are some unconventional ways that you've used the flowers? My flowers really get around. One customer uses them on her diabetes pump! I have made pieces for lamp shades, pillows, crazy quilts, dolls and lots of Marie Antoinette and fairy themed items.
5. You have some wedding themed items. Do you have plans for more? I love weddings. I get very stressed when doing weddings. I want things to be perfect for the bride! I am in the process of adding flower girl tiaras.
6. Is there anything else you'd like others to know about yourself or your shop? I love my customers. I never get tired of seeing all of their ideas and I love when they are in love with a piece.I am very blessed to do this.
See what I mean about wanting to get to know her and see more of her work? Isn't it just stunning? Leave a comment and say hello to Dana. I'm sure she would love to hear from you! You can visit Dana's blog at http://lambsandivydesigns.blogspot.com/ or her Etsy shop at http://lambsandivydesigns.blogspot.com/. I promise you won't be disappointed!