Friday, October 18, 2013

Lola Modern Finished

Little Squares Quilt
I've been working on a little modern quilt that I call "Lola Modern."  Lola because the fabrics are bold modern fabrics that I picked up at Lola Pink Fabrics in Lafayette.  I've had them for a while and had the idea for this little quilt while working on "Little Squares" which was way back in March.  Ahh well, sometimes a quilt has to wait.

The thing about this quilt is that I started it on a whim and finished it in less than a week.  It really is fast and easy.  A block has only three pieces and because it's a large baby quilt, there aren't many blocks.  In fact, I didn't even get to use all the modern fabrics that I had planned.


Can you see how easy it is?  I started cutting the fabrics a couple of weeks ago but got sidetracked with the hummingbird quilt.  All I had to do was handle those hummers and I was smitten.  Then I had other things going on, so the five or six squares that I had cut out just sat and waited patiently until I came back to them.  I cut a few more and before I knew it, I had enough to start sewing.
I loaded the quilt on the long arm Wednesday after school and when I came in from the studio, the quilting was done!  I know, right?  That was fast.  I wanted to play with these allover feathers, which I saw on Pinterest, and I do love the speed and ease of this technique.  To start I stitched some big loopy centers on so that both ends landed somewhere in the middle of the quilt.   Then I dropped in the feathers.  When I had that side of the quilt finished, I moved to the other side but made sure I could still get to the two open ends.  All I had to do was start with one open end and make big loopy centers working my way to the other open end.  Drop in the feathers and voila!  I did go back and look for open spaces so that I could fill them with extra feathers or scrolls, but even that took only a few minutes.




I really like this little quilt!  If you're looking for a quick, easy project, this could be the one.  Just cut some six inch squares of your favorite fabrics, some 6 X 4 inch squares of white,  and some some 5 X 12 inch rectangles of white.  One of each will give you a block.



Happy Quilting, 
Mary  

No comments: