Although I'm fighting a bit of a stomach bug, I managed to do some sewing today. I started out with this collection of fabrics, which have been sitting on the worktable tempting me for a long while now. Once I started looking at them, however, I changed my mind.
I immediately pulled out two of the fabrics and cut out a couple of tops. Yes, I did. Of course, now I don't have enough fabrics to make a quilt, but I do have a couple of really nice blouses. What exactly that will mean for the quilt, I'm not sure, but I think I can get more of the check and I could at least toss in a beige for this mottled one. There are very few scraps left over, so they won't really help, except maybe as swatches to find other fabrics to replenish the missing pieces.
The tops are something like the Amy Butler tops I made a couple of months ago but this retro Simplicity pattern has sleeves. Those sleeves had me pretty frustrated this morning because when I adjusted the pattern to fit better, I forgot to add to the sleeves which were too tight. I did remember to add to the armseye so the patterns didn't match. I compensated by adding a patch under the arm but the sleeve was still too small.
In the end, I strong-armed them so that they would ease in, but it was dicey for while. Thank goodness it worked and the tops are comfortable. Well, I put one on and it felt okay, so I did the same thing with the second. Of course I cut them out at the same time, so when I made the bad cut, I did it to both tops. Yes, that's how I roll!
I plan to wear one this week on a day that I won't be at school. I have an appointment that will (hopefully) take only the morning, so I can change out of the top at noon if it's too uncomfortable. In that case, I'll take the tops apart and put the fabrics back into the collection and call it a bust. It won't be my first time. I imagine it won't be the last. Ah, well, c'est la vie.
Have a great week.
Happy quilting and sewing,