I decided to make a quilt in the manner of Cindy's art quilts. If you know me, though, you know that I can't just follow a pattern: I have to make it my own.
So while this quilt started out using a "Complementary Color Recipe," it finished a little differently. I still am not certain that I want to call it an art quilt, but I'm feeling pretty good about it anyway.
I started with red, orange, and yellow solids and tossed in what was supposed to be just a bit of Kona Periwinkle.
Periwinkle usurped the quilt somehow. My idea was that the Kona Bison would work with the hot colors and the Periwinkle would add a bit of sparkle.
Oops on the periwinkle, but maybe not too much. I love the color, and it does a great job of breaking up the brown and adding asymmetrical lines that allowed for many quilting motifs.
Basically I used the lines as borders for each motif. At the beginning I was going to stick with circles, but that didn't last long. Ha! Once all of the bison sections were quilted, I changed my needle thread to a soft yellow and quilted diagonal lines that matched the one periwinkle line in each improv block.
Putting on the binding was just as much fun, because when periwinkle takes over, it messes with all parts of the quilt. Check out the corners.
Three of them have a little periwinkle trim. It is meant to look like the periwinkle dips in and out of the binding at will. Again, just taking over.
This quilt is titled "Solicitude" because I still feel a little uneasiness about it, which is unusual for me. It's entirely possible that the uneasiness I'm feeling has nothing to do with the quilt itself, but I have no idea why I feel this way. I suppose I'll just go with it.
Linking up with:
Finish It Up Friday at Crazy Mom Quilts
Faith and Fabric Design for TGIFF