Monday, October 7, 2019

Another of Mrs. Mary Lee's quilts ~~ finished

I am happily reading Boris Pasternak's Doctor Zhivago. It's slow going—I'm on page 113 of 560but the story is getting more interesting as I advance. Pasternak won, but declined, the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1958 for this volume about Russian life beginning with the Bolshevik Revolution moving through World War I to 1930. One reason that the novel is a struggle is that I have to stop and research events, people, terminology, and so on, quite often. It's a big undertaking, to say the least. Why am I doing it? That's another post. 

I've been working on a few small projects. One project seems to be ongoingthat's some little shorts and pants for Miss Milly. She is potty-training and occasionally has an accident. Keeping her in clean clothes is easy. If there are extra clothes!

I decided that it's easy enough and cheap enough to make shorts. Plus, I don't have to go shoppingthe best reason, I think. The fabrics were in my nursery stash. Two pieces were too small to make pants, so shorts they are. 


The weather predictors in our area keep promising that it's going to turn cool any day now. Finally we can feel a little dip in the temperatures, from high 90s down to mid/low 90s. Eventually we'll need some pants, so I've made a couple pair of those and a couple capris, as well. These two are ready for hems and elastic and two were worn home before I could get pics. 




The other project under my needle has another of Mrs. Mary Lee's quilts. The blocks in this one are especially pretty and difficult. Every block has four Y seams! Who would want to make this many Y seams? I guess if you've already made well over 100 quilts by hand, a few Y seams aren't too much to take on. 

I liked the square motif so much that I decided to stick with it. I call this "squarish" but, while I thought it up on my own, I've seen it on Pinterest since. I guess I'm not the only one with good ideas. 
It reminds me of 1960s Formica counter tops. 



I'll leave you with a few pictures of Mrs. Mary Lee's very pretty quilt. It's 70" x 86" in size and it will go home to Anna, who will trim it and add binding before giving it to a family member.

   


1 comment:

Karen S said...

It doesn't matter how long it takes to read a book as long as you enjoy doing it.
Great idea with all the extra shorts and pants. Great way to use fabrics.