Thursday, October 10, 2019

Build a Quilt Show -- How to procure judges in 8 easy steps

I honestly have no idea how judging is handled for a big guild or international show. I assume there's a process and it's an enormous deal. I didn't need an enormous deal and am grateful because this deal was plenty big enough. 



I was in charge of a small, local guild show and managed to bring in some pretty awesome judges. I originally had three, but one had a family issue and couldn't come after all. We went with two. Talk about some awesome ladies. 

 It's a wonderful thing to know that there are people out there who are willing to go out of their way to help. Glen and Crissy, you rock! Thank you, thank you, thank you! 



Here's what I did for a our small event:
1. Determine what your needs are and put the word out. (I asked for help from quilters in other guilds that am a member of.)
2. Contract the judges for pay and mileage.  (In my case, make plans for lunch.)
3. Create a rubric or rules and email or text to judges.
4. Set up date/time for judging before show opens. Keep judges informed as the show gets closer. 
5. Inform the guild treasurer to make a receipt for judges to sign when pay/mileage is received. 
6. When judges arrive, walk them through the rules/rubric, make sure they know which quilts are to be judged. (I put a sticky dot on the numbers of the quilts.)
7. Be ready to do the math if using a rubric (get a math person!) and determine the winners.
8. Put ribbons on winning quilts, pay judges and see them off.


Build a Quilt Show Series:

1 comment:

Karen S said...

Looks like you have this part well and truly sorted out.