I haven't gotten very far, but I'll share what I do have and my process. I started with the photograph, of course. I printed it on a regular 8 1/2 by 10 sheet of copy paper in black and white.
On the paper I traced many of the details. Then I labeled the parts so that when I cut the pattern apart, I could easily put it back together.
|close-up of pattern|
On the muslin I only blocked out the larger elements of the barn--not the trees or the details. This is so that I can put the fabric pieces in the correct places. The muslin is the background of the quilt picture and gives me something to press the applique pieces to.
I use iron-on fusible web and keep a couple of different brands. I do not like the heavy plastic-like stuff that comes pre-packaged. It holds forever, but sewing over it is almost impossible. Heat n Bond lite works well for me, but I've used other brands that worked well.
|close-up of muslin|
I'm fairly pleased with my progress so far. There's still much left to do: finish the barn, add grass, trees, and sky and, of course, quilting. I have plans for thread painting the entire piece to add dimension, color and detail. It will be a while before that comes. Please tell me what you think and drop a suggestion or two if you have any. I'd love to get some feedback on this one.