Saturday, July 13, 2013

A Victorian Bolster

Not very long ago a friend from nearby contacted me to ask whether I'd like some fabric scraps.  I gladly take just about any freebies and, after picking up the fabric, I blogged about it here

A couple of days ago, Elaine sent me a Facebook message asking if I'd had a chance to use any of the fabric.  Well, I hadn't since we've been traveling like professional vacationers.  
Today, though, I spent the entire day in the studio playing with those beautiful scraps of store decorator samples.  I decided on a quick project...a crazy quilt bolster for the window seat.  

I started out trying to just stitch pieces together, but that didn't feel right, so I made a pattern which worked much better.

After making the pattern, the project went quickly.  By suppertime, I'd completed the bag shaped case to slip the pillow form into.  I added a zipper so that it would be easy to remove the form for cleaning.

And now I've begun embroidering the case.  I have plans to add lots of embroidery (some handwork for the evenings) and beads to give it a real Victorian flare.  I plan to get on Pinterest and look for some ideas, but for now I'm just dropping in a vine so that I can add beaded flowers and some crewel leaves. 

Happy Stitching,

No comments: