I cut the larger pieces into small squares and began stitching them together to make "fabric." This I squared off into almost the same size blocks. While I wanted them squares to fit together easily, I also wanted a more organic look.
After making seven fabric blocks, I chose a light gray background to connect them all. At some point I decided that I needed two more blocks, but I really wanted them to look different than the others. Enter the open face block, which is basically just a rectangle of background fabric encircled with strips of blue.
It's not finished, of course, and I could still make a few changes. It's no surprise that I had only a half day to work on it, but it's well under way, and I have a plan for quilting it. Hopefully, I'll be able to finish the top tomorrow after work.
I'd love to see it loaded onto the long arm in a day or two. That would be pretty awesome, and maybe I can figure which way is up.
Linking up with