Friday, November 25, 2011

One week and counting.....

Yes, tomorrow morning will mark one week till the craft fair that I've been so looking forward to.  I must admit at this point that if my booth doesn't do well, I'll be terribly disappointed.  But I'm going with a positive attitude and will have fun, if nothing else.


In the meantime, I thought you might be interested in knowing how I've been preparing.


For one, I've been doing some research.  Actually quite a bit of research.  I've been reading blogs from people who often sell at craft fairs and conversing with members of the quilt board who have been attending craft fairs around their areas.
Another way I've been preparing is by inventorying my stock.  That is not fun.  It's just like doing inventory at a store, but on a much smaller scale.  It's a necessary part of getting ready, though.  I started out by building an Excel program that would fit my needs.  Now I just have to add the name of the items, number on hand, and cost.  Excel does the rest.


Finally, I've been sewing quite a bit.  I picked up some beautiful fleece a week or so ago, and I've been turning that yardage into hats, mittens, and scarves. 


I've made a few other small items, but mostly I'm focusing on those things that I'm hoping will sell as Christmas gifts.



My son, Rory, and his family came by for Thanksgiving supper yesterday and brought this very pretty display rack.  Have you heard the old saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure"?  Well, it definitely fits in this case.



It's fairly heavy, so it can hold quite a few items.  I've decided that I can use it for the smaller items that I'll have on the infant/children's table.  The tooth fairy pillows, mittens and small purses all fit very well.  There's one more shelf, which I hope to fill with more little mittens.


How was your Thanksgiving?  Did you get any Christmas shopping done today?  If so, how close are you to completing your list?

1 comment:

jenclair said...

Mary, you've got a ton of cute things to sell! You should do well at the fair.

I haven't done anything like this is a long, long time, but when the kids were still young, I did. I'd get a booth at the local flea markets and sell antiques and crafts. It can become addictive!