Sunday, March 20, 2016

Quilty 365 [update]

I've been working diligently on the circles for the Quilty 365 Project hosted by Audrey at Quilty Folk.  If you're a regular follower, you know that I started late. Actually at least one month late since I started sometime in February and almost everyone else started on January 1st. 


first set of circles
But I've been enjoying the hand-stitching much more than I thought I would, so sewing two or three circles a night has been easy. That means I'll eventually catch up, although my intention was never to compete or concern myself with a particular number. I'll just make circles till I've over it. 


this week's set of circles
Audrey encouraged me to do just that when I told her my "plan." It's really nice to get encouragement when you start off saying you're not playing by the rules. That surprised me since I rarely ever come close to breaking rules. 





These two photos are of the large circles....35 in all! Not a bad number. 




And these are the smaller circles...47 circles. 

It's the first time I've counted the circle, and I discovered that 82 circles are done.  (The photos and a calculator made that little chore easy.) Then I found another five circles hiding under a stack of the newest fabric I pulled for this project...so 87.  

One of the good uses of taking pictures is that it has helped me to realize that I've gone overboard with the number of plaids that I'm using for the background. This is much too busy. I've prepped many more circles and will use those, but then I'll have to resist using the stripes and plaids for the squares.  In fact, I really want to do more solid on solid to help calm this crazy down just a touch. 


Otherwise, I'm loving everything about this project.  Just look at this neat stack of finished blocks. Maybe I should start thinking about what I'll do with them when I call a halt. After all, that could be any day.


Linking up with 
who host the Ad Hoc Improv Quilters linky party on the fourth Tuesday of each month.  Do go by for a visit! You'll find some wonderfully interesting improv quilts and circles.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're on fire with those circles! I like how colourful yours are and personally I quite like the chaos of all the plaid and stripes. While I have never made a quilt that needs tons of blocks I am crocheting a granny square blanket and really enjoy putting all the squares into a neat pile. There is something so satisfying about that! :) Hannah

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks Hannah! I am having lots of fun with them. It seems that anytime I say I'm having fun, there's some craziness involved! I couldn't resist the last pic with the circles stacked up. I love how fast it's growing. Put a picture of our neat pile on your blog so the rest of us can enjoy your work!

Karen S said...

The blocks are looking great. It is also a lovely way to remember different projects you have made as you use the fabrics.

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks Karen. I have decided to make more using Kona solids, but first I'm going to sew up the circles that are prepped. I'm not sure how many it will take to make a regular quilt but it's seeming like I have lots already. Who knows, maybe there will be a couple of smallish ones. There's no telling...but that's part of the fun, isn't it?

Heather said...

I really like your bright,colourful background squares.

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks Heather. I tried to email you but can't seem to find an address. I appreciate your visit and comment!

Kaja said...

I'm another one who likes the mad mix of background fabrics - it's unique and vibrant. I can see the argument for adding some plainer squares as well though. Love your colours here too.

judith lockhart said...

I like all your colorful circles! I am also doing the Quilty 365 and did not start until February 28. However, as you are doing, I've been doubling up in hopes of having one for each day of this year which will be 366. It is fun pulling all the fabrics from my stash! Congrats on getting so many done!

Ann said...

I like your solids so much and am surprised (as a person who uses mainly prints) that I agree you need more of them. This will be a wonderful quilt. Love the idea of mixing two circle sizes. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I love all the bright colors and fun fabrics you are using for this project. It is going to be a fantastic quilt!

audrey said...

I am so enjoying your plaids and stripey fabrics. Really charming mix!

Cathy said...

All those plaid backgrounds aren't too busy for me! I love them all.

Mary Marcotte said...

Hey everyone! How wonderful to see so many sweet notes! I appreciate the encouragement and the comments. I've been visiting your blogs, also and love your projects. Ann, thanks for the honesty: I have cut and prepped more solids, so look for them in the next Quilty 365 post. I'm so enjoying all of my improv projects!

Béa said...

Very beautiful mix of fabrics.

Anonymous said...

Ah, more wonderful circly blocks! I loved this idea but was overcommitted for this period in time, so I am saving the intention in my "to do". I love the way you are combining plaids and solids and that the backgrounds are various. It is a very happy, energetic look! Well done, you!

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

You can't give up yet, you have to make it at least to 6 months! LOL. My foxes made it 9 months. Sigh......that was great for me!
glen: i considered joining this circle, I do love it.

Mary Marcotte said...

Well, Glen, I'm not giving up quite yet. I can't say how long I'll keep it up, but for now I'm going to keep going. Thanks Bea and Sue for the kind comments. Sue, I almost talked myself out of it thinking I wouldn't keep it up, but I'm so glad I did. I'm really enjoying it much more than I imagined I would. It's not too late. You could just make a smaller quilt!