Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Scrap Quilt ~~ Finished!

It's done! It's finished! Well, I do need to add a label, but I can't come up with a name that I love, so for now, it's done. I may add a label without a name but I prefer to have a name first. 

Anyway. Here we go, a few photos from inside the studio because the weather is not cooperating with photographers today. Imagine what it is doing to non-photographers!

One of my favorite things about this quilt is the small bits of Kona Indigo that I incorporated into the pieced background and also used for the binding. This is it all neatly pressed and rolled up. I discovered a pretty little gift box that is the perfect size to hold the binding until I was ready to sew it on.

You may remember that I struggled with this quilt for a while. After sewing the scraps to make slabs of fabric, I cut them into 5" squares and framed them with Kona Cream, Tan, Indigo or Bison. I liked it at the time and had about 12 blocks completed. Then I had to put it aside for a while and when I returned. Blah! I hated it enough to rip almost all of it out. Then I got smart and started cutting frames off. I used the cut frames.

I left some of the inside frames. Some of the others I sewed back on, leaving them exactly as they were, even the odd shapes.

The indigo pieces that came from the frames made for fun little accents and the rest got cut up into binding, so very little was wasted.  The Kona Bison, along with the indigo, was just too dark, so I rolled it up to use later. Luckily, it's mostly 2½" strips, so it will fit for lots of applications. 

just played and had fun putting it all together. I could not recreate it exactly because there's no way to figure out how I got this. But I like it: it's bold and different and was surprisingly fast to make, well, once the fabric slabs were made.  

Edited to add: The title of this quilt is (finally) A Tisket, A Tasket and is part of the Nursery Rhymes series. 

Quilt Stats
Name:   A Tisket, A Tasket 
Size: 65" x 77"
Fabrics:  Scrap fabrics--blue, green, yellow; Stash fabrics--various Kona solids
Binding: Kona Indigo
Backing: blue, green, yellow flower prints from stash
Pattern: scrap slabs, improvisational piecing
Quilting: Custom Free Motion Quilting – wavy horizontal lines (side to side) 

Completed: March 2016

And the back of the quilt: blue, yellow and white flowers with a bit of green tossed in. The styles do not match but the colors do and every inch came from the stash. So there's that! 

Linking up with 
Ad Hoc Improv Quilters
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
Crazy Mom Quilts
TGIFF hosted by Celtic Thistle Stitches
WHOOMP There it Is by A Quilted Passion

Happy Quilting,


Kaja said...

It's been an interesting journey to follow and I think this turned out really well. I like your tiny bits of indigo too, and the movement in the different neutrals (and now I know how you got there). I'm a big fan of 'if it's not working, cut it off' - I find it a very freeing mindset. Congratulations on a great finish!

Karen S said...

It has been lovely to watch this one coming together and the end result is great. Well done on the finish.

Christine Slaughter said...

I really love the modern aspect of this quilt. I'm visiting from WHOOMP, so I haven't watched your progress, but your final quilt is spectacular! Awesome work!

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks, Kaja and Karen, you're both always so sweet with the comments. I have to say, I'm always thrilled to see that you've left a message. Christine, thank you, also. I've been to your blog and am VERY impressed with your first commissioned bag! Thanks for the note.

Kat said...

Sooo pretty! Lovely quilting choice.

Jayne said...

II really like this! The colors are wonderful together. Along with the neutrals...perfect!!

Celtic Thistle said...

Congratulations on powering through the dislike and coming up with such a lovely quilt in the end!

Mary Marcotte said...

Thanks for the info, Fiona. I can't wait to get to use the techniques you suggested. Kat and Jayne, thank you for the sweet comments. It seems that struggling with a quilt not only adds to the story but has me appreciating the end result more. I guess that's human nature, but it also makes letting the quilt go just a little more difficult.

Sue said...

Very brave of you to remodel it midway through. That happens to me a lot...I put something away and come back to it and see it quite differently. Great finish.

Ann said...

Such a wonderful finish. I've enjoyed watching this come together through your posts.cutting the boring sections apart helped you create a much stronger piece. Thanks for linking with AHIQ.