Friday, August 2, 2013

Elf stocking tutorial


Elf Stocking Tutorial
I made an elf stocking just to see if I could back in 2013, and it was pretty successful.  So of course, I made another.  I thought that I'd share the process with you.  

I'm reposting it now so those who enjoyed making this fun stockings and for those who are new followers.  If you seen this before, please be patient with us.

Getting Started: You'll need a piece of fabric that is 20 x 34 inches; backing fabric 24 x 38; and batting 24 x 38.  Narrow ribbon to match.  Craft bell.


Make your quilt sandwich and quilt the three pieces in any design.  I quilted swirls on this stocking but I did loops on the blue one I posted here.  A large, fast design works well.


Cutting:
Once the fabrics are quilted, fold the quilt in half with right sides together and lay your pattern on top.  

I simply drew out a pattern and added the curled up toe.  The trick to cutting out the toe is to taper the curled toe slightly and stop once the toe reaches close to the ankle of the sock, so that you can still turn the fabrics right side out later.  I used newsprint paper, but any large paper will do.  After I cut out my pattern, I cut off about three inches of the top of the boot shape to make a cuff.  

Because I was cutting through six layers of fabric and batting, I decided to cut the very end of the toe separately so that I'd have more control.

After cutting the rest of the stocking out, I focused on the toe.  I found it easier to cut from the top of the stocking into the curve and going all the way to the tip of the toe.

Important Tip: to help turn the toe right side out after stitching, I cut a coordinating piece of ribbon about four inches long, folded it in half, and tucked it into the toe of the stocking.  Leave the two ends sticking out so that the ribbon forms a loop inside the stocking and you can see the ribbon while you stitch.  This ribbon will also hold your bell after the stocking is turned.

Begin stitching the stocking starting at the top on the foot front side. You will have to stitch slowly around the curve of the toe making sure to catch the ribbon pieces that stick out.  Continue to stitch about two inches past the ribbon, backstitch and stop.  The backstitching creates an extra seam around the part of the stocking where you will pull and tug to turn the stocking.  I backstitch several stitches--10 maybe--to make sure that the stitches in the point hold.

Now make your second seam from the top of the stocking along the back, around the heal, and past the toe--again catch the ribbon. Continue past the ribbon about two inches, backstitch and stop. 

Turn the stocking right side out.  It will take some creative pulling and pushing.  Alternating between the two, pull on the ribbon loop that is inside the stocking and push the stocking from the inside--I use a slim dowel rod or the back of a knitting needle.  Work slowly and methodically, it takes time and patience.


Once you've got the point and the stocking completely turned, you're ready to add the cuff. First, stitch the cuff, right sides together, down the two side seams to form a circle.  Turn the cuff right side out and add binding to one edge as you would normally bind a quilt.  I used a contrasting binding cut on straight of grain.

Now attach the cuff to the stocking.  Both parts should be turned right side out.  Insert the cuff into the stocking so that the right side of the cuff is against the wrong side of the stocking. Pin. Cut a piece of ribbon approximately five inches long.  Form a loop and slip it between the cuff and stocking so that the loop is facing into the stocking and the ends of the ribbon will be caught in the seam.  Pin in place.   Stitch all the way around the raw edges.  Turn the cuff to the outside and fold down.  


Add the bell to the toe of the stocking.  Cut the piece of ribbon stitched into the toe right in the fold.  Thread a bell onto the ribbon and tie in a tight double knot.  Now form a small bow or clip the ends of the ribbon short.

Ta-da!  Ready for your favorite little elf! 

No comments: