Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hyperlink Your Comments

I did something interesting.  Well, interesting in the sense that I started out trying to do something completely different!  I wanted to figure out how to add numbers to comments.  I'd read someone's tute before and followed directions, but that didn't work.  It could have been me, but I'm not entirely sure. 

So today I queried Google, which gave me a couple of sites, and I chose this one: http://www.techtrickhome.com/2013/02/insert-hyperlink-on-blogger-comments.html

Well, instead of adding numbers to the comments on my blog, it adds a hyperlink to my comments on someone else's blog.  Not a bad idea for driving traffic your way.   

Since the writer on this particular site is obviously not a native English speaker, I thought I'd translate for you.  

Practice on my comments if you'd like...sure go ahead....or go to another blog and write in the comments box.  I write my entire comment first, then I decide which word I will hyperlink.

Pretend this is going to be my comment:
Oh, Anne, what a lovely quilt!  Those colors are soothing and work so well together.

Let's use the word "quilt" to add the hyperlink where the word appears.  This allows me to embed the hyperlink into the middle of the comment.

To hyperlink the word "quilt," all I would do is replace the word with the letters and symbols that are code for what I want to do--hyperlink. 












In the box above, there are two sets of code.  The first one is the basic code for creating a hyperlink.  It doesn't go anywhere.  Correction: the hyphen in the first code should be an equal sign.  The second one is the code specific to my blog.  Adding this code to a comment will mean that when someone clicks on the keyword (quilt), she will go directly to Fleur de Lis Quilts blog.

It's easiest if you add the basic code first, then change the website address and the keyword.  My example comment will look like what is in the box below:



Now, when I click publish, it will look like this:



The word "quilt" should be a different color.  And when I hover the mouse over the word  I should get a hyper-hand, which means that clicking on the word takes me to Fleur de Lis Quilts.

Try it!  I promise, it works!

Right now, I've got to get back to figuring out how to put numbers in those comments you're going to leave me!

No comments: